This may surprise you, or gross you out… maybe even both, but I do not wash my hair everyday. I used to. There was a time when I did not have a choice. I have naturally oily hair, so even after I shower, hours later I look like a grease bucket – EW. I HATED IT! Until I found this little secret: the “No Poo” method
It’s an odd name, that we can agree on, but it’s changed my hair routine for life. Basically, it means that you no longer use shampoo or conditioners (the commercial kind anyways). Instead, you are able to make your own (in literally seconds). Saving you time and money!
Plus, it is amazing for the health of your hair!
Did you realize that commercial hair products are actually stripping your hair of all the healthy oils that it naturally produces that keeps your hair healthy and strong? Of course, I have to mention all the harsh and toxic CHEMICALS that are in these store bought products. And, I shouldn’t even have to mention how expensive buying these products are!
Luckily, you can make your own “No Poo” Shampoo & Conditioner for PENNIES compared to what you are normally spending, and it only requires 3 ingredients! And, to make this even more simple, I bet you already have them in your kitchen!!
–Baking Soda, Apple Cider Vinegar (or regular), and Water
That’s it, those are the three magic ingredients that will change the health of your hair forever (& fatten your wallet at the same time)!
So what is so great about using these ingredients vs store brand products?
Baking Soda is actually very gentle on your hair. It cleans and removes the chemical build up (from years of regular cleaning and styling products).
Apple Cider Vinegar is a mild acidic that leaves your hair soft and shiny. It detangles follicles, seals cuticles, and balances your hair’s PH.
Not only that, but once you start using this, it begins to add volume to your hair and for those of you (like me) with oily hair it reduces that overload tremendously! That is why I started using this method, because I was looking for a way to control the natural oils my hair was producing. And this method has worked WONDERS!
Not only have I not used Shampoo & Conditioner in over 2 years, but I have not colored my hair either! And this may be a personal choice, but using these natural products have brought out my natural color and highlights. I get compliments all the time on my hair’s color and they are astounded when I tell them that it’s all natural (;
Let me warn you though, it will take a few times using it for your hair to adjust. Because your hair is so used to the chemicals stripping it dry, the first few times your hair may seem extra oily or not clean at all. But I promise it’s working!! Give it time; do not give up! Your hair will need the time to adjust and it’ll be worth it in the end.
I seriously love this method and am so excited to share it with you!
No Poo Shampoo & Conditioner:
- Baking Soda
- Apple Cider Vinegar (I’ve used regular white vinegar for about a year & it worked fine too!)
- A Plastic Squirt Bottle (for the shampoo)
- A Plastic Spray Bottle (for the conditioner)- you can use a squirt bottle for this, but I liked the spray bottle better-
How to Use
- Fill up the squirt bottle with 1 Cup of water and 1 Tablespoon of baking soda- shake well before each use
- Fill up the spray bottle with 1 Cup of water and 1 Tablespoon of vinegar- shake well before each use
- HOW SIMPLE IS THAT TO REMEMBER?!
- Shower as normal, wet your hair
- Pour the shampoo mixture onto your scalp
- Massage well and focus on the scalp area
- Let sit for a few minutes, then rinse
- Spray the conditioner mixture onto your hair, avoiding the scalp
- Run a brush/comb through your hair to evenly coat (this is an extra step I did, but you don’t have to do)
- Leave in for a few minutes, then rinse
And you’re done!!
Now, wasn’t that simple! You now have an all natural way to clean your hair, restore it’s health, and save you money. Oh, happy day! (;
Be sure to comment below any questions you may have, ideas or tricks you may know, and any different recipes you may have tried!
*This post contains affiliate links. By clicking on those links (bold & blue) you will be redirected to Amazon and I will receive a small commission on any purchase made.