Because of my
love — okay, obsession — with essential oils, I started my journey on using natural alternatives. It did not take me long to stumble upon the many uses of honey. This thing is amazing!
The uses and application for it seems endless, AND…
the health benefits alone should make you head to your car and stock up on some of your own!
What are some of these benefits you may ask? Well, let me just list a few for you, my friend (;
- Helps prevent cancer and heart disease: honey contains antioxidants, which can help reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease.
- Reduces cough and throat irritation: A recent study showed that a single does of buckwheat honey was just as effective in relieving cough and allowing proper sleep as a single dose of dextromethorphan (aka Robitussin) Ahhhh-mazing!
- Heals wounds and burns: Honey has been deemed as effective as conventional treatments, probably from the drying effect of the simple sugars and it’s anti-bacterial abilities.
- Is a probiotic: There are varieties of honey that contain large amounts of good bacteria, which helps to explain it’s therapeutic properties.
Okay, so what does this mean for you?
Literally, that was only a small, few examples of the benefits that honey possesses. So, now, how can you use honey in your daily routine to help improve your health?
There are many ways, here is a list of 11 simple and effective ways to utilize some of the properties honey has to offer.
Important Note: If possible, use local honey — honey that is locally grown (unprocessed) contains naturally occurring pollen and enzymes. There has been research that shows using local honey, as close as possible to where you live, may help build an immunity to some seasonal allergies — which is a huge benefit in my household, our poor family is ridden with allergies!
11 Ways to Use Honey
- Dab a bit of honey on a cut before you put on your bandage. It helps prevent the scab from sticking and gives it an anti-bacterial/anti-septic boost!
- Use as a cough syrup for anyone over 1. Take 1 TBSP of honey to help combat your cold!
- Take 1 TBSP orally each day to reduce and relieve acid reflux.
Face Mask/Body Scrub:
- Use honey alone for a moisturizing face mask –or– combine with sugar to make a body scrub <– also makes an awesome gift!
Soothe Sore Throat:
- Gargle with a mixture of honey and lemon to soothe a sore throat
- Add a tsp of honey to your shampoo or conditioner to give your hair an extra boost of super softness. If you want to make a 100% all natural shampoo using only baking soda and vinegar click my link –> here <– to read how
- Dot a little honey on a blemish to help get rid of it faster
- For every cup of sugar that a recipe calls for, replace it with 3/4 cup of honey
- Instead of energy drinks, take a TBSP of honey while working out to replenish minerals and give your body a boost of energy
- Soothe inflammation from a burn with honey by applying it directly to the area
- Add a TBSP of honey into a warm cup of water (or tea) each morning, this can replace your morning coffee if you’re feeling brave, to help with seasonal allergies
These are literally just a few, of the many, ways you can use honey each day to promote a healthy life and prevent sicknesses.
I just love these!
Any way that I can use a natural alternative, I’m all for!
Let me know if you have any ways that you use honey in your life. Comment below; You know I love to hear from you! (;